Donaldson Class (Year 1)
You can download a copy of the Donaldson class homework sheet here: Friday 13th September 2019
WELCOME TO DONALDSON CLASS
Our teacher this year is Mrs Ketley and our Learning Support Assistant is Mrs Kilby.
Rules and Rewards
At the start of the year we created a set of class rules together to ensure we have a safe and welcoming environment to come into and spend our days together.
- We help others when they need it;
- We care about our classroom;
- We are kind to others;
- We will appreciate others;
- We will act sensibly to keep everyone safe;
- We will listen nicely to everyone
We encourage the children to follow these rules all of the time and they also remind one another.
The children also earn individual green cards for exceeding expectations and going above and beyond. They are rewarded for every 10 green cards in our celebration assembly, working through bronze, silver, gold, super gold and platinum certificates. Mr Potter also rewards outstanding achievement with his very special Headteacher certificate
All the children are in house teams which run across the school: Keats (Red); Shakespeare (Green); Shelley (Blue), Chauser (purple) and Wordsworth (Yellow). (Your child's book wallet is the colour of the team your child is in.) Every week your child can win house points for their team by following the school rules, displaying good manners and trying their best. Throughout the year, your child will also participate in inter-house competitions and events.
Our Topic titles this year will be:
- Autumn 1: Once upon a time.
- Autumn 2: Once upon a time/ Christmas.
- Spring 1: Amazing Animals.
- Spring 2: Footprints in the snow.
- Summer 1: Fabulous Food.
- Summer 2: The Seaside.
Please ensure that PE kits are in school on PE days which are on Wednesday and Thursday. Please ensure all earrings are taken out for this day and all long hair is tied back.
Support at Home
Please help to enhance your child’s education by supporting them at home to extend, practise and apply their knowledge.
How you can help:
- Reading – listen to them read, supporting them to blend the sounds to create words and recognise high frequency sight words (words that are common and can’t always be sounded out). Question them about what they are reading to check understanding but also link to their own experiences.
- Numbers – counting forwards and backwards, what is one more/less than any number from 1-20, addition and subtractions number sums. Mental calculations in practical situations - for example - 'there are two plates on the table how many more do we need if we have six people for dinner?'
- Homework – will be set each week ranging across all curriculum areas. It will be stuck into their books. Once a half term the children will be set a practical homework activity. Please see the homework section of the website for more information.
- Online Homework – As part of the homework children will be asked to log onto Mathletics. Their log ins are in their reading contact books. The teachers set this and monitor it regularly. Please check the parents section on the school website under “supporting your child” where there is extra information and ideas for how you can be a help to their learning at home. Please do encourage the children to engage in a range of these activities at home but it is more effective to complete shorter burst, more frequently, of focussed time rather than sitting down for a long duration. Try involving these in everyday activities, e.g. bath time and into their play so it is fun and they are enthusiastic to show you their skills and knowledge.
- We encourage comments on the children's achievement and progress which helps to assess their understanding and application of skills in another context. If you have any queries, big or small, please jot them in their books and we will respond to you as soon as possible. If it is something of a personal or urgent nature you can contact me via the school office or approach me at the end of the school day.
- We do request that you please ensure ALL of your child’s belongings are named clearly with a permanent marker/method (including PE kits)
- Please use the children’s reading contact books to inform us of the children’s activities with you at home, especially acknowledging that you have read with them so we can try to change books on a Monday.
Thank you for your support and I look forward to the year together.