The welfare and safety of children who attend our school is our paramount concern. We will promote the health, well-being and safety of the pupils in all we do. We work in accordance with Department for Education guidance on safeguarding, and our approach to safeguarding is set out in our safeguarding policy.
The aims and objectives of our policy are to ensure that all our staff promote an environment where children can learn in a safe, caring, stimulating and positive school where their social, physical and moral development is our highest priority. All our pupils know that they are valued and that any concerns they have will be taken seriously and addressed by the adults who care for them.
Our approach to safeguarding is set out in a series of policies:
- Alpha Trust policy on safeguarding and child protection (Oct 2021)
- Alpha Trust - Annex to policy on safeguarding arrangements during school closure (January 2021)
- Communication and parental involvement (Nov 2020)
- Positive behaviour management including anti-bullying (July 2021)
- Adults supporting learning (Nov 2020)
- Educational visits (Nov 2020)
- Intimate care (Nov 2020)
- Alpha Trust policy on safer recruitment (Dec 2020)
Roles and responsibilities
The Headteacher is our nominated Designated Safeguarding Officer. The Deputy Headteacher is also the Deputy Designated Safeguarding Officer. It is the responsibility of the Headteacher to ensure that:
- the Governing Body adopts appropriate policies and procedures to safeguard children in the school;
- these policies are implemented by all staff;
- sufficient resources and time are allocated for staff to carry out their responsibilities effectively;
- all staff and adult helpers in the school are able to voice their concern if they feel that a child is vulnerable or that there are any particular practices that are unsafe.
Managing our school grounds and premises well is an important part of our approach to safeguarding. We ensure that our grounds and buildings are well-maintained and that that they are suitable for staff to provide high quality supervision and care. We keep our site security under constant review, and we use CCTV to monitor our premises and grounds. We invest in an ongoing programme of maintenance and undertake regular health and safety inspections and reviews.