Zephaniah Class (Year 4)
Download a copy of Year 4 homework here - Friday 21st September 2018
Welcome to Zephaniah class!
Our teacher is Mr Holton and our Learning Support Assistants are Mrs Khan and Mrs Jackson.
In Year 4 the children are encouraged to become more independent in their learning cross-curricular, whilst developing their previously learnt skills as well as embedding new skills and knowledge.
The curriculum is taught with a variety of methods and with opportunities for the children to work in different groups, pairs or individually.
Learning in Year 4
During the year we will be learning about a wide range of topics such as:
- Autumn term (first half): ‘Exciting Explorers.’ The focus will be History and Geography where the children will be learning about Vikings, Anglo-Saxons and Scots. In English the children will be writing an adventure story containing historical characters and events.
- Autumn term (second half) ‘Light It Up’. The learning focus for this half term will be electricity together with developing DT skills and knowledge. The children will be writing instructions for their DT creation and Cinquain poems about light.
- Spring term: ‘Living in other Countries’ The children will be learning about contrasting cultures, with a focus of life in India. They will be writing letters, their own play and diary.
- Summer term: ‘Feed the World’ We will be learning about countries across the world, their cultures and environmental issues within them, as well as the production of food; including farming, local produce, traditional dishes and famine as well as looking at charitable organisations who fund raise and support. We will also visit Easton Farm Park.
Supporting your child’s learning at home
At home you can continue to support your child by:
- Sharing the enjoyment of reading through daily reading opportunities, discussing the text, features, characters and identifying similarities between books previously read, whilst also developing comprehension skills through questioning and explanation of unfamiliar words.
- Regularly practise times tables – both multiplication and divisional facts through games, verbal recall in any order and online resources such as Mathletics.
Year 4 Homework
Homework is set once a week on Thursdays - please complete by Wednesday each week. The creative homework tasks are set half termly and completion dates for those are given when set.
PE and swimming
In the summer term, our PE lessons will be as follows:
- Tuesday morning - swimming
- Thursday afternoon - football with Colchester United
- Friday afternoons - yoga with Miss Alexander
Please ensure your child has their kit in school on the right day. Earrings must be removed, so if your child isn't able to do this independently, please ensure that they are not worn on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Thank you for your continuing support.